Sixth Nation Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixth Nation Gaming

Home Base of the Sixth Nation Community

Share | 

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 pm

Figured I'd move this out of the welcome thread and into where it belonged. With Mass Effect 2 and the new Final Fantasy coming up, the first half of the year is looking awesome.

That being said, did anyone try out Demon's Souls? That thing was ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
omega9
Ninth Nation
omega9

Nation Reputation : 29

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 pm

I know some of the guys around here have played through Demons Souls; personally, I haven't had the pleasure.

And I completely agree that 2010 will be a GREAT year for RPG's. And its about damn time.

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 OmegaSig2
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

Nation Reputation : 211

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Wonderful news form the Game Informer. Just found this out, but I'm usually a bit slower to catch the news so others may have already known.
FF XIII is due out earlier that they previously said. They said it was out in June.
It's coming out in March. Early March. Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D
cheers Excited
It'll be so nice to see another Square game.

Haven't played Demon Souls. It's an RPG?

I want to play Mass Effect quite badly. Unfortunately, I only have a PS3 and it isn't out on that. Right now I'm making due with Dragon Age: Origins. I estimate that I'm a little over halfway through. I like it quite a bit, but I can't seem to get quite as into it as I did KotoR. Still pretty darn good, though.

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 Cobalt-1
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

Nation Reputation : 5

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:41 pm

Cobalt Grinch wrote:
Wonderful news form the Game Informer. Just found this out, but I'm usually a bit slower to catch the news so others may have already known.
FF XIII is due out earlier that they previously said. They said it was out in June.
It's coming out in March. Early March. Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D Very Happy= :D
cheers Excited
It'll be so nice to see another Square game.

Haven't played Demon Souls. It's an RPG?

I want to play Mass Effect quite badly. Unfortunately, I only have a PS3 and it isn't out on that. Right now I'm making due with Dragon Age: Origins. I estimate that I'm a little over halfway through. I like it quite a bit, but I can't seem to get quite as into it as I did KotoR. Still pretty darn good, though.

I heard that Demon's Souls is pants-shittingly hard and most people have a hard time making it past the first 15 minutes of the game.

I really hope they take out the Gambit system in FFXIII, after a while in FFXII it just got to where the only thing I was needed for was to move my characters from point A to point B. However, I think FFXIII from what I've seen is going back to a turn based fighting system Very Happy= :D

As far as Mass Effect goes, I would say it is a pretty damn good game, if you liked Knights of the Old Republic I would suggest picking this one up if you have an Xbox.

By the way, if none of you have played Wild Arms 2 it's up in the PSN store for 5.99, which is what I'm currently playing.

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 Erik
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 am

You know, the first Wild Arms I played was 4 and while the story really left something to be desired, I thoroughly enjoyed the game play. I liked it enough that I went and bought WA3 when I found it. Another pretty darn good one. This led me to buy Wild Arms form the PSN store. I was 2/3 of the way done with it when my system crashed. *twitch twitch*
Eventually, I will go back through it. Eventually. Maybe after I get caught up on all the good games being released ahead, and the ones I haven't gotten yet.
Tell me one thing, though. In WA2, do the battles move a bit faster? *fingers crossed*

Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Loyalist
Loyalist
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 12:56 am

Demon's Souls is the BOMB
closest thing I've yet seen to table-top RPG

fantastic play and challenges
dedicate to your character: it pays off

rewarding should you complete a level
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:04 am

Cobalt Grinch wrote:
You know, the first Wild Arms I played was 4 and while the story really left something to be desired, I thoroughly enjoyed the game play. I liked it enough that I went and bought WA3 when I found it. Another pretty darn good one. This led me to buy Wild Arms form the PSN store. I was 2/3 of the way done with it when my system crashed. *twitch twitch*
Eventually, I will go back through it. Eventually. Maybe after I get caught up on all the good games being released ahead, and the ones I haven't gotten yet.
Tell me one thing, though. In WA2, do the battles move a bit faster? *fingers crossed*

Sorry but you may want to uncross your fingers. The battles are kinda slow, trust me I've gone through every menu in that game trying to figure out how to speed the battle speed and battle message speed up so it doesn't feel like an eternity every time a spell or special move is done.

All of that aside I really like the Wild Arms western feel. I'm willing to overlook the slow moving battles and the mediocre story to play some old school RPG what with the turn based battles and the sometimes difficult puzzles. Not any of this "Go here, press this" sissy puzzles like the latest RPGs have been.

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 am

@A_Bloody_Bunny wrote:

I like how that's not a 'when'. It's an if.
From what I hear of this game, it starts off by reaching out, removing your vital organs and feeding them to you. Then it gets really nasty once you actually put it in the PS3. pale
Now, I like a good challenge, I really do. I've completed most games I own on their highest difficulties. THe DMCs on Dante Must Die mode, the Halos on Legendary, MW2 on Veteran, etc.
There's a big difference between the first one and the others. The harder difficulties of the DMC games force you to really understand the controls. You have to be able to move from one combo to the next flawlessly, all the while dodging, switching weapons out to plan ahead for what might be around the corner, and using items only very, very rarely. It's a test of skill.
MW2, for example, is more of an exercise in building patience, and to a lesser extent, pattern memorization. Walk around a corner? Die. Don't walk around a corner? Die. Reload, knife the guy behind you, peek around the corner and snipe the other guy, then another guy who is almost too far to see with the crappy scope they give you shoots a rocket your way. Die. Mad You get through it, yeah, and it does feel good, but more because it's over rather than because you've improved yourself. *
*Note: My experiences. Individual results may vary.
Which kind of difficult is Demon Souls? I may have to give it a look. Shocked

WA2 is still on the slow side, eh? That's okay. Gives you more time to plan the next round.
Personally, I'll put up with a lot of bad gameplay for a good or at least entertaining story. Bard's Tale comes to mind. That's a hilarious game with solid, but repetitive gameplay. I've played through three times just for the gags and funny songs. Laughing In fact, I think I'll post some of those in the Funny Pics and Vids thread.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 9:02 am

Cobalt Grinch wrote:
@A_Bloody_Bunny wrote:

I like how that's not a 'when'. It's an if.
From what I hear of this game, it starts off by reaching out, removing your vital organs and feeding them to you. Then it gets really nasty once you actually put it in the PS3. pale
Now, I like a good challenge, I really do. I've completed most games I own on their highest difficulties. THe DMCs on Dante Must Die mode, the Halos on Legendary, MW2 on Veteran, etc.
MW2, for example, is more of an exercise in building patience, and to a lesser extent, pattern memorization. Walk around a corner? Die. Don't walk around a corner? Die. Reload, knife the guy behind you, peek around the corner and snipe the other guy, then another guy who is almost too far to see with the crappy scope they give you shoots a rocket your way. Die. Mad You get through it, yeah, and it does feel good, but more because it's over rather than because you've improved yourself. *
*Note: My experiences. Individual results may vary.
Which kind of difficult is Demon Souls? I may have to give it a look. Shocked

It's the only game I've ever decided I'd rather not try. I picked it up at GameStop after trading in Dragon Age, having beaten it twice. I put about six hours into it over the course of a few days, and while it certainly was rewarding and a feeling of accomplishment beating a PORTION of the first real level. But then I got to a bloodstain that read "This is where the real Demon's Souls begins" and died. About thirty consecutive times. Now, I'm a good gamer and have beaten everything I've played pretty much. But I decided to hell with it and brought it back and used it to preorder Mass Effect 2. I just wasn't putting myself through that. Although I will say, it is a very well designed game.
Back to top Go down
A_Bloody_Bunny
Loyalist
Loyalist
A_Bloody_Bunny

Nation Reputation : 18

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Which kind of Difficult is Demon's Souls?

Well, like you said ... it reaches out and removes your vital organs.

The "Training Level" is a breeze, then you meet the Boss .. you're obliterated *you can beat him, you still die*
Demoralized from the start, you wander around the staging area hoping for insight on what makes this place tick. What you find is despair ...

First level ... you have what you got, make the best of it
You're gonna die multiple times ... respawn *at the start of the level, there are no "half way save points"* ... 'moneyless' ... "oh shit" you say .. "I gotta get that back"

Wrong move, you're careless and die again before you pick up your souls ...
Your tired but can't put it down .. wrong move ... see above

You finish the level ... "FUCK yeah bitch ... EAT THAT" ....

start the next level ...
right when you're about to beat *enter whatever here*, some douche invades ... FUCK ... likely someone with 8-10 levels on you ... die again

Every time you die .. it changes the world 'tendency' .. things get HARDER not easier. Drops are better, but .. damn, you gotta work for it

If you're working towards trophies ... You're gonna EARN them. They sound like cake walks ... sound

I have 3 toons through the 1st play-through, 5 others between a level 1 and 60 ... I have to try out all the character types Embarassed
What I can tell you; COMMIT TO YOUR CHARACTER TYPE ... New Game + to NG++ play with balancing the character out, not initially (just MO)

I have some that I balanced early on, much harder later ... those I committed to, were easier ... Each character type has a World that they are noticeably weak in .. that's where you bite the bullet and summon a blue phantom *another player* to help you through ... all the while rushing the level with the knowledge you're open to invasion by a black phantom *bad, nasty munchkin players who like to fuck up your game* Cool

Don't rush and prepare your character well ....

When you complete an objective; it is SO worth it

I had one issue when I started one of my toons, with a certain NPC ... always kicked my ass, mercilessly .. Bitch, I'm wearing his armour now Twisted Evil . Even had to show my wife, that's how much pride I took in beating that *bleep*

In short; if you like TT: RPG style; you'll love this
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks for the preview, E. I'll likely pick it up when my schedule dies down a bit. Just too hectic right now to really commit to anything. Sad
But as soon as it's slower, I look forward to having my organs removed. Very Happy= :D

Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 2:16 am

Double Post

Here's a little info for the FF fans.
FF VIII is now available for download on PSN for the price of $9.99.
For those of you who enjoyed it, but no longer have a copy, now's the time to replace it. Very Happy= :D

Back to top Go down
SpongeBobNoPants
Loyalist
Loyalist
SpongeBobNoPants

Nation Reputation : 22

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 2:42 am

Been there, done that, so much fun reliving my younger playing days. bounce

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 200.gif?cid=aa094c255gs966uwy7enhwj17qpi0vz8l3ify72gyqfxeal7&rid=200
LOUDOG IS MY BIRTH-GIVEN NAME
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 8:11 am

I was cleaning out my entertainment center to instal some new cables and a surge protetor i got and found my original PS FFVII in its case, still immaculate. I have a backward compatible PS3, I wonder if they'll work?
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

Nation Reputation : 162

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Cobalt Monkey wrote:
Double Post

Here's a little info for the FF fans.
FF VIII is now available for download on PSN for the price of $9.99.
For those of you who enjoyed it, but no longer have a copy, now's the time to replace it. Very Happy= :D

Nice, my third disc was fucked. Need to get FF9 next cause some bastard robbed that on me.

Quote :
Listen to Liam. He makes sense. - Rxforwar

Quote :
"I agree with all Liam has said so far" - Seyel

Quote :
"Sorry Cel I agree with everything Liam has said so far." - Rrwatch

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."
You don't say much do you? :3" - vengeance7times

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.
Fuxkjb touch screeb ketboards." - iRideAPalmer

Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 Eb1yq9
Back to top Go down
CobaltMonkey
CobaltMonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm sure it'll be out before long, Liam. What's it been? Six, eight months since VII came out?

Good find, Rayray, but that's no way to treat an FF. Evil or Very Mad
Laughing
On a side note, I worry that the laser might be too strong. I played a bit of Chrono Cross on mine and it started freezing. My advise is to stick with a PS1 or 2 if you wanna bust out that classic.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 pm

Cobalt Monkey wrote:
I'm sure it'll be out before long, Liam. What's it been? Six, eight months since VII came out?

Good find, Rayray, but that's no way to treat an FF. Evil or Very Mad
Laughing
On a side note, I worry that the laser might be too strong. I played a bit of Chrono Cross on mine and it started freezing. My advise is to stick with a PS1 or 2 if you wanna bust out that classic.

I don't have either my PS2 or PS1 anymore, those died off a long time ago. Guess it'll just live here in prosperity.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Still got my PS2 Slimline thank fuck.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :
"You know what I was going to do? Make a thread on here called: "Lod, the man of few words."

Quote :
"Tequila and i ee in love. She nevef gives me hangover. But she lujes tl bite me when o takr her straight. Liam... i shall savw tgis for you not gonna edit. Of i do tour sllowed to have xel comr salp me.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:03 pm

Whats weird is that I ddint play either FF8 or 9. When I was a senior in HS 7 was out, then i was completely absorbed by Goldeneye and NBA 2K and Banjo Kazooie for about three years, I never even knew about them until after X was released. To this day i haven't' played them, I'll definitely be picking it up when it hits PSN.
Back to top Go down
Eriktr0n
Fourth Nation
Eriktr0n

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/12/final-fantasy-xiii-preview-2/

Looks like the game I have been waiting for for a very long time is yet another disappointment of epic proportions...Square Enix has really been sucking ever since they acquired Enix. They need to go back to be Squaresoft or just plain Square. Every Enix game I have played sucked ass and their influence has definitely been showing over the past years.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Well, that's certainly knocked it from a day-1 purchase to something I'll pick up down the road a bit at gamestop.

That's pretty disappointing, really. I was really looking forward to it, having enjoyed X, X2, and XII. Ah well. Mass Effect 2 is here soon enough Smile
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Did. You. Just. Say. That. You. Enjoyed. Final. Fantasy. X-2?

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 2:00 pm

***dodges whatever Liam just threw at me***

Yeah, I think I'm one of just a few people who actually liked it. It was decent enough. I was a big Rikku fan, so....yeah.

Also, after playing X three or four times, it was nice to have something else to play while I waited for XII.
Back to top Go down
Lod
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Dark Lord of the Sixth
Lod

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 2:02 pm

I Really need an Eye Twitchy smiley.

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.   Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 pm

It was college! (does that excuse work in this situation?) Dare to be Dull.  RPG discussion thread. - Page 6 394488
Back to top Go down

Dare to be Dull. RPG discussion thread.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sixth Nation Gaming :: Gaming HeadQuarters :: MMOs and Role Playing-
Jump to: